Find Laptop

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Friday, 13 September 2013

If I stand for too long I faint

Posted on 05:53 by Unknown


Both pregnancies I’ve had this annoying thing that if I stand for longer than 30-40 minutes, I get lightheaded and am on my way to fainting. I don’t know why this happens, because my blood pressure does not drop very low; last time when my midwife measured it, it was a very average 120/70. Usually this is not a big deal, because if I sit down for a little bit it goes away. But sometimes there’s nowhere to sit, for example when waiting in line at a very busy restaurant that just opened. This happened a couple months ago and I was put on a chair by a colleague just before falling to the floor. Or when waiting in line at the airport, but then I can usually move my legs enough to prevent actually fainting. 

Another occasion where you have to stand for this amount of time is when giving a talk about science. That happened yesterday. My talk went very well I think, but a couple minutes into the questions I felt kind of lightheaded. I was hoping it would go away but I felt myself get more and more dizzy and was hoping people couldn’t see anything… At some point, when I realized I wasn’t done answering questions anytime soon and I just had to sit down. So I did, mumbled some apology for it and luckily the two fellow post-doc moms that I knew in the audience looked very understanding. I felt embarrassed, but I guess fainting in front of an entire audience would have been worse. I finished answering questions and the PI that invited me said he was impressed that I came to deliver my talk at 7 months pregnant, so I guess it wasn’t a big deal. But I did leave the talk feeling a bit embarrassed about the situation.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in giving a talk, networking, pregnancy, work-life balance, working mom | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • About academic culture and reward/bullshit ratio
    Dr. Isis’ blog was the first science blog I read when I was in grad school. I was always impressed by her upbeat way of writing about combi...
  • Is it okay to watch Netflix in the lab?
    Because of the success of my last question; Is it okay to cry in the lab? , here’s another one: Before I moved to the US I thought that most...
  • 2012: the year I started to blog
    This year, I decided to start blogging for a number of reasons. First, I felt that I needed some more practice writing. English is not my f...
  • Musings on pseudonymity
    Today I got an email asking if I wanted to write for the Guest Blogge at Scientopia , and I was really excited about that. I haven’t been b...
  • Things I did while pregnant: grow a baby
    I think by now we all now that Marissa Mayer, CEO of Yahoo is pregnant . On twitter, this started the #ThingsIdidWhilePg hashtag, in which ...
  • Is it okay to have a baby before tenure?
    Last Friday, there was an interesting discussion over at DrugMonkey  where people were rehearsed the same discussion about whether postdocs ...
  • Kissing and hugging etiquette
    Back in the home country, it is normal to kiss each other on the cheek three times (left, right and left again). You kiss when you see peop...
  • When talking to students and post-docs
    Dear senior investigators, When you are invited to give a talk somewhere, and are thus scheduled to have lunch with students and post-docs...
  • Guest Post: The Pregnant Post-Doc Search
    Today, my fellow blogger and electrophysiologist (and soon-to-be mom!!) The Cellular Scale and I are swapping blog posts. I am over at her...
  • On delusional academics
    The other day, I was talking to transitioning out of academia with a couple people in my lab. One of the grad students had just...

Categories

  • absurd
  • academia
  • addiction
  • advice
  • attachment parenting
  • authorship
  • baby
  • babywearing
  • birth
  • blog carnival
  • blogging
  • books
  • breastfeeding
  • bureaucracy
  • clumsy
  • co-sleeping
  • collaboration
  • cultural differences
  • cycling
  • daycare
  • decisions
  • disgruntled postdoc
  • doping
  • doula
  • drinking
  • eating
  • efficiency
  • electrophysiology
  • ethics
  • experiments
  • feminism
  • finding a job
  • food
  • funding
  • giving a talk
  • graduate student
  • grant writing
  • guest post
  • guilt
  • homeopathy
  • ideas
  • imposter syndrome
  • in the news
  • introduction
  • IWD
  • K99
  • lazy
  • leaving academia
  • life in the lab
  • managing people
  • marriage
  • maternity leave
  • meeting
  • mentoring
  • migraine
  • money
  • negotiating
  • networking
  • neuroscience
  • NIH
  • observations
  • outfit
  • parenting
  • pharmacology
  • photograph
  • playground
  • postdoc
  • poster
  • pregnancy
  • pride
  • procrastination
  • Pub-Style Science
  • publishing papers
  • pumping milk
  • recommendation letters
  • relevance
  • review
  • role models
  • safety
  • science
  • Scientopia
  • sequestration
  • SfN
  • sleep
  • smartphone
  • society
  • sports
  • summer
  • Sunday morning musings
  • talking
  • television
  • tenure track
  • thesis
  • toddler
  • tour de france
  • toys
  • travel
  • twitter
  • update
  • vacation
  • women in science
  • word
  • work
  • work-life balance
  • working mom
  • worrying
  • writing

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (65)
    • ►  November (4)
    • ►  October (6)
    • ▼  September (6)
      • Do I suck at feminism?
      • On motivation in the lab
      • The suckiest part of being a scientist and a mom...
      • If I stand for too long I faint
      • On finding mentors
      • When do you stop pumping milk at work?
    • ►  August (6)
    • ►  July (6)
    • ►  June (4)
    • ►  May (6)
    • ►  April (5)
    • ►  March (8)
    • ►  February (6)
    • ►  January (8)
  • ►  2012 (92)
    • ►  December (6)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (11)
    • ►  September (12)
    • ►  August (8)
    • ►  July (9)
    • ►  June (8)
    • ►  May (9)
    • ►  April (9)
    • ►  March (10)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile