Find Laptop

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Saturday, 3 March 2012

To a conference in baby-attach mode

Posted on 07:15 by Unknown

Last year’s society for Neuroscience meeting was right when I went back to work after my maternity leave. And since I had patched a whole bunch of cells while very pregnant, I even had something to present there. The meeting was right around the corner from where I live, which is why I decided that even though BlueEyes was only 4 months old, the whole family was going to the meeting (and in this case, with meeting I mean the actual science-part, and not so much the social and drinking part). So on Saturday and Sunday I put BlueEyes in a baby wrap (Girasol Chococabana for those of you interested), and walked around the conference.
Something like this, plus a couple thousand posters in the background

SfN turned out to be very baby-friendly, since they even had a specific room for infant care, where you could nurse and change your baby. The only disadvantage was that this was kind of far away from the poster hall, so after I had checked out a poster or two I had to walk back there to nurse a hungry baby or change a diaper. Oh well, most people walk around the poster hall to meet people they know instead of actually look at the posters anyway, right? A major unexpected disadvantage was that when you show up at someone’s poster with a baby attached to you, they automatically assume that you’ve come to show your cute baby instead of ask a serious science question. So not much science talk for me that weekend…
 
On Monday BlueEyes went to his usual daycare, and I traded the baby-in-wrap for my breast pump. This was potentially even bulkier and certainly more annoying to drag around all day. The same sort of thing as before happened where I would check out a bunch of posters (at least now I got to ask science-questions and have people answer them), and then have to walk back to the infant care room to pump milk. And after I presented my own poster I realized that whoever thought of four hour poster sessions had probably never lactated him- or herself….

A last thing to note is that the night after we took BlueEyes to SfN, he had his longest night sleep so far (a 6 hour stretch of sleep!). And mind you, this was in November... So I guess nothing puts our baby to sleep like a couple 1000 neuroscience posters!
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in baby, babywearing, neuroscience, pumping milk, SfN, sleep | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • About academic culture and reward/bullshit ratio
    Dr. Isis’ blog was the first science blog I read when I was in grad school. I was always impressed by her upbeat way of writing about combi...
  • Is it okay to watch Netflix in the lab?
    Because of the success of my last question; Is it okay to cry in the lab? , here’s another one: Before I moved to the US I thought that most...
  • 2012: the year I started to blog
    This year, I decided to start blogging for a number of reasons. First, I felt that I needed some more practice writing. English is not my f...
  • Musings on pseudonymity
    Today I got an email asking if I wanted to write for the Guest Blogge at Scientopia , and I was really excited about that. I haven’t been b...
  • Things I did while pregnant: grow a baby
    I think by now we all now that Marissa Mayer, CEO of Yahoo is pregnant . On twitter, this started the #ThingsIdidWhilePg hashtag, in which ...
  • Is it okay to have a baby before tenure?
    Last Friday, there was an interesting discussion over at DrugMonkey  where people were rehearsed the same discussion about whether postdocs ...
  • Kissing and hugging etiquette
    Back in the home country, it is normal to kiss each other on the cheek three times (left, right and left again). You kiss when you see peop...
  • When talking to students and post-docs
    Dear senior investigators, When you are invited to give a talk somewhere, and are thus scheduled to have lunch with students and post-docs...
  • Guest Post: The Pregnant Post-Doc Search
    Today, my fellow blogger and electrophysiologist (and soon-to-be mom!!) The Cellular Scale and I are swapping blog posts. I am over at her...
  • On delusional academics
    The other day, I was talking to transitioning out of academia with a couple people in my lab. One of the grad students had just...

Categories

  • absurd
  • academia
  • addiction
  • advice
  • attachment parenting
  • authorship
  • baby
  • babywearing
  • birth
  • blog carnival
  • blogging
  • books
  • breastfeeding
  • bureaucracy
  • clumsy
  • co-sleeping
  • collaboration
  • cultural differences
  • cycling
  • daycare
  • decisions
  • disgruntled postdoc
  • doping
  • doula
  • drinking
  • eating
  • efficiency
  • electrophysiology
  • ethics
  • experiments
  • feminism
  • finding a job
  • food
  • funding
  • giving a talk
  • graduate student
  • grant writing
  • guest post
  • guilt
  • homeopathy
  • ideas
  • imposter syndrome
  • in the news
  • introduction
  • IWD
  • K99
  • lazy
  • leaving academia
  • life in the lab
  • managing people
  • marriage
  • maternity leave
  • meeting
  • mentoring
  • migraine
  • money
  • negotiating
  • networking
  • neuroscience
  • NIH
  • observations
  • outfit
  • parenting
  • pharmacology
  • photograph
  • playground
  • postdoc
  • poster
  • pregnancy
  • pride
  • procrastination
  • Pub-Style Science
  • publishing papers
  • pumping milk
  • recommendation letters
  • relevance
  • review
  • role models
  • safety
  • science
  • Scientopia
  • sequestration
  • SfN
  • sleep
  • smartphone
  • society
  • sports
  • summer
  • Sunday morning musings
  • talking
  • television
  • tenure track
  • thesis
  • toddler
  • tour de france
  • toys
  • travel
  • twitter
  • update
  • vacation
  • women in science
  • word
  • work
  • work-life balance
  • working mom
  • worrying
  • writing

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (65)
    • ►  November (4)
    • ►  October (6)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (6)
    • ►  July (6)
    • ►  June (4)
    • ►  May (6)
    • ►  April (5)
    • ►  March (8)
    • ►  February (6)
    • ►  January (8)
  • ▼  2012 (92)
    • ►  December (6)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (11)
    • ►  September (12)
    • ►  August (8)
    • ►  July (9)
    • ►  June (8)
    • ►  May (9)
    • ►  April (9)
    • ▼  March (10)
      • Short and long term happiness
      • What I wish I had known before about baby sleep
      • Tetanus shot
      • Is it okay to watch Netflix in the lab?
      • I think I’m not that tired anymore
      • Is it okay to cry in the lab?
      • Perfectionism, or the lack thereof (IWD)
      • On role models
      • To a conference in baby-attach mode
      • Feeling better
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile